Phase III of our 4-H Acres improvement challenge is underway!
Tompkins County 4-H has a tremendous impact on the lives of its young people, and 4-H Acres is a key to that impact.
4-H Acres is used more than 300 days an year, by over 3,000 participants from across the county!
Perhaps your own family has realized the benefits of participation in Tompkins County 4-H though; 4-H Clubs, Urban Outreach, Rural Youth Services, Primitive Pursuits and many more.
For young people from across Tompkins County, 4-H Acres is a home away from home that provides:
- a safe place to go after school,
- Healthy indoor and outdoor spaces
- a venue to showcase 4-H project work,
- a location where they can prepare care packages for local families in need,
- an environment where they have a say in what happens, and
- so much more!
4-H Acres: A Place to Belong (all year long!):
We are entering our third year of the upgrade project and because of generous donations, we have leveraged funds from the Cayuga Ithaca Kiwanis Club and the Tompkins Charitable Gift Fund and other donors. We have also received the generosity of hundreds of hours of volunteer time to conduct 4-H Acres projects. The following work has been completed since last year:
- The installation of new flooring throughout all of Kiwanis Hall
- The installation of new flooring in the Pole Barn
- A few basic upgrades to the electric in the Pole Barn
- A new center tie rail in the Pole Barn (volunteer and youth project and paid for by a volunteer)
- Installation of a new Arbor and plants (donation and volunteer and youth led project).
- Installation of a student made fence near the arbor
- Bridge repairs
- Bowker bathroom Painting
Check out our video with pictures of these projects: https://youtu.be/0mw5yIaCkXg
BUT there are still a few key projects that need to be completed
and we need your help to do it.
With your support, we will:
- Provide new lighting and much needed electrical upgrades in the Pole Barn (we have identified major safety issues with the current electrical system)
- Install a new roof on Bowker Hall
- Paint the inside and outside of several buildings
- Improve pathways and outdoor lighting
- Design and install new 4-H Acres sign
With your help, we can provide our kids and community members with facilities that support the highest quality non-formal educational opportunities.
We know you care about young people and believe that 4-H can help equip them with the skills and values they need to make a difference in today’s world, we are asking you to please join us in giving as generous a gift as you can to 4-H Youth Development in Tompkins County. Every dollar of your contribution will benefit young people right here in our community!
Please make a generous contribution towards our $20,000 goal
by December 30th!
to continue to transform 4-H Acres into
A Place to Belong (all year long!).
The MISSION of Cornell Cooperative Extension of Tompkins County (CCE-Tompkins) is to put experience and research knowledge to work through educational partnerships that improve residents’ lives and communities.
Our VISION is that CCE-Tompkins is widely recognized as the resource of choice for excellent community education programs, and will continue to collaborate with other community resources to provide up-to-date information and technology to a constantly widening circle of county residents.
At 4-H we believe that every child needs the opportunity to belong to a caring community. For over 40 years, 4-H Acres has provided thousands of youth and families a place to belong. Current research emphasizes the importance for youth to have opportunities for long-term consistent relationships with adults other than parents. This research suggests that a sense of belonging may be the single most powerful positive ingredient we can add into the lives of children and youth.
4-H Acres offers young people opportunities to experience Belonging, Mastery, Generosity, and Independence – helping them to grow into competent, contributing adults.