We are now opening the public phase of our campaign-$13,000 more to hit our goal
At 4-H we believe that every child needs the opportunity to belong to a caring community. For over 40 years, 4-H Acres has provided thousands of youth and families with a place to belong. Current research emphasizes the importance for youth to have opportunities for long-term consistent relationships with adults other than parents. This research suggests that a sense of belonging may be the single most powerful positive ingredient we can add into the lives of children and youth.
For young people from across Tompkins County, 4-H Acres is a home away from home that provides:
- a safe place to go after school
- a unique indoor and outdoor space
- a venue to showcase their 4-H project work
- a location where they can prepare care packages for local families in need
- an environment where they have a say in what happens
4-H Acres offers young people opportunities to experience Belonging, Mastery, Generosity, and Independence– helping them to grow into competent, contributing adults.
4-H Acres is currently used more than 300 days a year, by over 3,000 participants from across the county. It has become evident the physical limitations of our current facilities limit the scope of services we are able provide.
With your support, we will:
- continue to upgrade Kiwanis Hall to a fully-heated, more accessible and healthy space for current 4-H program participants, and
- expand access to the facilities for rural communities in our county
- provide new lighting and flooring in our pole barn
The Expansion will provide year-round access to meeting spaces and on-site staff–in facilities equipped with resources such as advanced office and educational technology and a commercial kitchen. With your help, we can provide our kids and community members with facilities that support the highest quality non-formal education.
With your support, 4-H Acres will become a place where:
- Youth participating in daily after-school programs will have access to fully-heated, healthier spaces, with resources like advanced office and educational technology, including Internet and computers.
- Adult mentors will have spaces for program planning and rooms in which to work with youth who need more dedicated one-on-one attention.
- Rural communities will have easy access to facilities for meetings and workshops, a commercial kitchen, and office spaces.
- Six full-time staff members will work on site to provide rural residents with expanded access to Cornell Cooperative Extension’s services and programming.
- Youth can continue to showcase their projects and skills in an up-to-date facility to better meet their needs
As we enter to final and public phase of the campaign, your gift will help us to continue to transform 4-H Acres into A Place to Belong (all year long!). Please make your gift by November 15, 2013.